Sunday, April 12, 2009

THIS GRANNY GRUMBLES

More and more as I write this blog I am arriving at the conclusion that I need an organization.

A grassroots organ, not one geared to sell insurance or sell out its constituency to commercial interests. An organization that will truly represent the interest of people who are physically unable to work a full work week, or are old enough to retire, but must fight ageism and financial insecurity when seeking to market their skills in the workplace. I envision a group of committed individuals willing to go “sit on the desk” of their legislators and corporate directors and governmental administrators and demand a hearing. A “union,” if you will, of this under-served and under-employed but still vital population seg
ment.

Our numbers are large, but we are NOT UNITED. Our struggle is lonely, obstructed by bureaucratic sprawl and the deliberately obfuscated language of the “benefits” packages we are tossed by our government. Being disabled, or for that matter a senior who is still aware and alive and struggling to keep a home and life together on a fixed and limited income is a full time occupation. We need to help each other and work together for an easier, more productive, more hopeful path. We need an organization to tell our stories, distribute information, and keep the pressure on the governmental org
anizations that supposedly represent our interests.

So I dabble with acronyms as I wander through the maze of daily living:

HANDS – Helpful Adults and Newly Disabled Seniors
SERVE – Senior Extended Ready Vital Energy
BELT – Big Energetic Life Time
STRIDE – Senior Teachers Retired Individuals Disabled Energy
SDWW - Retired and Disabled Want Work
DAMN – Disabled and Able Mentally-competent Nation
DAWN – Disabled and Aging Working Nat
ion

I am astounded to find that there are only a handful of grassroots organizations serving the interest of the mentally competent disabled in this country. I am shocked that the aging boomer population is so shell-shocked and insular in their response to their shrinking opportunity to have a creative and fruitful senior experience that we have not kicked up our heels and DEMANDED appropriate service opportunities at this time when our country could really benefit from our skills.

Then again, I am discouraged that when I went to sing out with the Grannies at a local gathering to shout out on behalf of National Health Care, only a couple hundred folks turned out to Salsa to Save Lives at a local park on a lovely spring evening. The Current Population Survey Revised CPS ASEC Health Insurance Data published April 10, 2007 indicated that 21% of the total population of New Mexico is without health insurance, meaning that this population is just one health incident away from financial disaster, not to mention that they are unlikely to be getting the ongoing care they might need. And that was 2007 – not today when these numbers are undoubtedly far larger.

Where were these folks on April 9 when we gathered in the park??? Do we believe, just because we made the bold step of electing Obama that he must now solve all our grave social and economic riddles without ongoing support???

Grrrrrr.

Once again, I challenge my readers! I am looking for allies and partners in this process.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

ellen rosner said...

Hello,
I just discovered your blog via New Mexico grassroots site.
Great work.
I have book-marked it and I'll be coming back. I am not a granny, but cd be since I am 62.
I love the idea of raging grannies.
I met some of the grannies who went to Gaza, and they are incredible, as are of course the grannies in Gaza, and all their children.

regards,
ellen (NJ)

Environment/Energy Conversion /click for more